Pages

Friday, August 2

Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper said what, ok, and ... (explicit content)


Reports indicate +NFL player, specifically, +Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper had an argument with a security guard while at a +Kenny Chesney concert. The situation resulted in Riley being recorded stating "he would that do something (in audible to me) that bitch, and fight every nigger[sic] here bro. Then, a nearby lady states, “(shrieking) ahhhhhhhhhh, he said niggggggaaaaaa[sic]," next the video unsteadily ends (see the video at the end of this post  [Full disclosure, I actually laughed, then gathered myself and chuckled at the video, specifically the lady]; no further explicit spelling of the word in this post).
Based on the action displayed by Riley in the video an argument can be made that Riley is a racist. Just as easily, that argument can be refuted.
My view: the use of a word is not sufficient to label someone as racist.
Only the individual racist truly knows if he or she is a racist. The use of the word in any form does not make someone a racist [it will change how I interact with that person regardless of background or intention]. The act of talking down to an individual or showing signs of racist behavior can never truly be used as evidence because people often do things to purposely cause pain in the moment, and observation is open to interpretation. Beyond that of confession, “YES, YES, I AM A RACIST, SHIT, THERE I SAID IT,” to determine who is and who isn't is vain.
Riley is nobody to me. I only know his name because I saw the report on websites I frequent. I am writing this blog to contribute to discussion and hot air out there on the topic because so much of what I’ve read is contrary to my view. Reports also indicate that Riley’s action has caused many a bit of unrest (see the comments on some of the reports, see Twitter --- out of control) including prominent celebrities’, Marcus Vick (not a prominent celebrity) stands out because his brother Michael is in competition for the starting quarterback position with the Eagles. Marcus took to Twitter:
  • ·   Hey I'm putting a bounty on Riley's head. K to the first Free Safety or Strong Safety that light his a- up! Wake him up please.



  • ·   Hahaha! Peace of s–. Who want to play on a team with guys like that? Riley Cooper you’re a f—  boy!!! Racist peace of s–.”



Michael Vick, Marcus' brother, responded on Twitter,
  • ·   Marcus doesn’t need to show a level of ignorance himself.



Marcus later deleted his posts and reported his Twitter account was hacked.

Concerning Marcus, I could see love for his brother being expressed by becoming suspicious of Riley. Viewing poor performance from Riley now through the lenses of sabotage to Michael’s chances of winning the starting job, because he suspects Riley is a racist. However, upset to the point of putting a bounty on his head. Questionable.

If you are upset; I ask, why? Who is Riley to you, and why does his view, or use of a word matter to you?
“Oprah, for instance, still can't get past the n-word issue (or the n---a[sic] issue, with all apologies to Ms. Winfrey). I can respect her position. To her, it's a matter of acknowledging the deep and painful history of the word. To me, it's just a word, a word whose power is owned by the user and his or her intention. People give words power, so banning a word is futile, really. “N---a[sic]” becomes “porch monkey[sic]” becomes “coon[sic]” and so on if that's what in a person's heart [and only the individual truly knows their heart]. The key is to change the person. And we change people through conversation, not through censorship,” SC.
I choose not to use the word anymore. I understand, and acknowledge the cultural norm, I grew up within that cultural norm, but again, my choice is not to use the word. My choice is rooted in experience and learning history --- formally and through my own pursuit. Nevertheless, that word has no power over me, nor should it have power over you. Those carrying around hate carry a large burden that either they will let go, or, it shall consume them. In some cases they will successfully live with it. Whatever the situation, it is on them. Don't let anyone transfer negative energy to you. To become irate because someone used a word is unavailing.
To close, Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper said what...ok, and...continue on living, enjoying, building, striving, leading, contributing, helping, being you, focusing on real issues, far as the BS — getting upset of the use of a word, stop wasting time on that.





No comments:

Post a Comment